Sunday, 25 September 2011

Monet's House and Garden

We stayed at St Marcel, a suburb of Vernon, near Giverny on the way south but at that time it was too wet to visit a garden. We arrived at the same campsite, Les Fosses Rouge, on the afternoon of 9th September and focused on domestics. We used the laundry and while I rigged up a washing line and hung it up John walked down to the village shop for bread and cakes. Somehow I neglected to take any photos of these activities but I do have one of emptying the waste water tank the following morning, just before leaving for Giverny.
I had read on a motorhome forum that at the motorhome section of the car park at Giverny you can stay overnight. When we'd found the correct area, just beyond the coach parking, and asked the attendant he confirmed we could stay.
It was of course packed with visitors at the gardens but it was still possible to direct the camera at the flowers.
We had bought a souvenir book as there didn't seem to be any other guides or plans to the garden. Here John is consulting it, but it wasn't really helpful at the time. Print far too small for me to read anyway.
This was probably my favourite part of the garden, a quiet section away from the crowds.
Though if I turned round and faced the other way
There were lots of opportunities to photograph people taking photographs.
A pond with lilies
and a bridge with people
I really enjoyed the visit but it's difficult to communicate here the weird mixture of the buzz you get in a lovely garden in the sunshire, the peacefulnesa and the crowds, not to mention the air of pilgrimage. Later, I spoke to an Aussie motorhomer who said Monet was his favourite artist. He's not mine but I recognise his significance and it was good fun to be here.
We also looked around the house but no internal photographs were allowed.

No comments: