
Yesterday we motorhomed to
Clumber Park near Worksop. It's now a National Trust parkland with the original walled garden fully restored. That, and the stable block seem to be all that remain of the hall they once served - besides the rolling acres of parkland and the lake of course. The herbaceous border is superb, dare I suggest more thoughtful than Arley?

The orchard is textbook pruned. Note the espalier above, brilliant work.

We went with Lynne, who is on holiday this week.

You can see the Medallion in the middle ground, but what is that attractive
Hymer Exsis (the commentary is in Dutch - yeah, so what)? I confronted the occupants and demanded a full tour of their van. He was nearly 80, had been a CC member since '52, had owned loads of different caravans and motorhomes. Showed us everything in the Exis and explained its advantages and drawbacks, but you know what he actually said: " I'd been hankering after an Auto-Sleeper like yours you know". Umm, obviously he hadn't been listening to the bit about the LED lamps and leisure battery banter. So back to Wally in which Chris and Lynne had prepared luncheon. Very civilized.

After luncheon we had a post-prandial of about five miles, noting several less than interesting and very common flora. Of particular note for Lynne was the mugwort, which I later keyed out (well, I looked at the pictures) -
Artemisia vulgaris of the Daisy family (Asteraceae) - uncommon on Skye apparently.


And this will be astilbe of some sort - False Bucksbeard ( of the Saxifragaceae family and a garden escape opine Blamey, Fitter & Fitter) - that's Mugwort to the right!
No comments:
Post a Comment