Monday, 16 August 2010

Arley Hall & Gardens

Following the advice of Danny, on Sunday we were just so spontaneous and drove to Arley. I had been told about 'Arley Mere' in Cheshire 50 years ago by my mother. She used to cycle there with the Urmston CTC in the 1930s. My father was skeptical about its very existence, and in any case was not interested in the place, that is until after my mother had died. Then he was interested in going, but as 'Arley Mere' couldn't be found, we never did go.
Going round the hall a faithful retainer (hired from the Archers) spoke of a lake. Yes, the mere does exist and is within the Arley estate. He said I could tell my mother about it. I informed him of the impossibility of doing that. Really he should have said, 'tell your father', but the world is rid of him too. It's a bit of a 'to the lighthouse' routine. I have to confess I'm not too sure I like the place.
The RHS bangs on about its herbaceous border. There is no hint at post Jekyll influences - no drifts of consistent colour. It is a mid 19th century border of modern hybrids. Chris wasn't that impressed and just "pointed and shooted". With only a 50 mm lens I practiced framing and aperture setting in excess of f20. It's a discipline.
The haha wall works very well.

No comments: