Saturday, 27 April 2013

From My 1963 Sketch Book

On the school trip to France in the summer of 1963 I did not have a camera but I did buy a sketch book in Arles. In the recent posts about our French trip this Spring I remarked that it was somewhat nostalgic as it was there I made what I thought were some reasonable drawings for a 15 year old. I've selected a few drawings of the places we visited this year from my sketch book of that 1963 trip.
We started in Paris as you should, but I hadn't thought of sketching then. I do remember being laughed at by the French master, Mr. Preston for commenting that the Parisian cobbles still echoed to the sound of the revolutionary sans-culottes! Pretentious moi? Although four years later they certainly did. 
I made some paintings from these drawings and sold them to teachers.



 Palace of the Popes, Avignon.
 The arena Arles.
 Roof-scape, Arles.

Alan Turner, our art teacher, in profile. And below a drawing of the bulls on the Camargue I persuaded him to make from the window of our moving coach.

1 comment:

Bob Sapey said...

I am very impressed.