Monday, 15 April 2013

Millau Pont

This is not just any bridge.

This is not just the biggest bridge in France.

It is the biggest bridge in the world!


 Height 343 m
Length 2460 m
205,000 tonnes of concrete
Deck area 65,000 sq m
Cost 400m Euros
Designed by My Lord Norman Foster
And seems to have been built by some French company

... and many more facts like that at the visitor centre.



Chris wanted to visit. One can't really miss it. It is difficult not to find it, so we spent a sunny afternoon around Millau looking at the world's largest viaduct as they call it in the literature.
 It really is scale-alteringly huge so much so that on exiting from the viewing point below onto the main road Chris said 'can we fit under that bridge?' - meaning the piffiling road bridge at only container wagon height. Our camping-car is right and P2 is left, whose footprint is the size of a tennis court.



 An insignificant town to the west of Millau is right now upgrading and narrowing its main road to prevent vehicles from stopping to ogle the viaduct - as we did below.
 That excitement over we found some wild flowers by the Tarn that I had first seen in the Corèzze. I have identified them once, but now forgotten what they are. When I say 'by the Tarn' I mean at our campsite.
 A normal bridge over the Tarn.
Loungers we have at this campsite. It's luxury at 12 Euros a day.
Off to Cahors tomorrow.

2 comments:

A said...

Cahors we knew well. We had a house at a little village called Aujols, about 20km away. Also the truffle centre of the region is at Lalbenque. There used to be a very interesting gallery in the chateau at St Cirq le
Popie, if you like surrealists and Man Ray. Whether it's still there, I don't know. It's a lovely region, enjoy. The campsite at Cahors used to be down by the river, but I expect you've already found all this out. Have fun. A+D

Johnny said...

Thanks A - we're just back on line and now heading north and staying just south of Chartre. Will be posting soon I hope. Oradour sur Glane yesterday, and I'm still recovering from reading the full story last night in bed.
No we hadn't found all that out, so thanks. We stayed in a free aire by the Lot.