Monday, 27 July 2009

Land of Hope & Bloody Glory!

And on our last night, Saturday night we were in Victoria park again this time for a selection of popular classics performed by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic orchestra. Very fine they were too, the orchestra that is. Personally I can do without pomp & circumstance through huge loud speakers (a point actually made by Elgar). Brings out the worst in some people as the pix of flag-wavers indicates. 'Wider yet and wider may our Empire grow'. 'God who made us mighty, make us mightier yet'. Can we remind ourselves what happened next? See my post on Thiepval.
However, rant over, especially impressive was the guest soprano Emma Morehouse(?), and of course the brass section who sustained us through 1812 at the end! Splendid firework display. I asked Chris who she thought might win because I thought le Marseilles was being played with far too much enthusiasm.





No comments: