
First hollyhocks are out and what a peely-wally pastel show they are.
I have four apple bushes on M9 grown as legs in the new Dutch style. They are Discovery, Fiesta, Egremont Russell and Falstaff. I think they are showing early signs of stress due to lack of water. I have recently installed a large water butt to the left of the photo, but obviously there is no water in it. Overall there is no real problem. However recently planted items need more water, for various reasons; and young fruit trees in the lee of a ridiculous double garage are just such candidates. OK you say, plant more intelligently, but the whole site is on two angles theta of slope. We drop 2.5 metres in 10 metres in two directions. So level sites for horticulture are at a premium.
The promising intimation of a thunderstorm did not materialise and so Chris and I were watering with our Hawes dagging cans. It's getting like Mamon des Source!I actually mowed the tiny grassed area with the Ransomes Sim and Jefferies 'Ajax' Mark 4 manual mowing machine this afternoon.
I know shorts and boots are gross but the humidity and heat was positively foreign. It must have been, well 25C and 80% humidity.


2 comments:
Hi John.
Down in the namby south 'dagging' is removing sheep cack from its arse area. Do you know something we don't?
I'd love to know what a Hawes dagging can is......
Interesting A. You sent me straight to the OED and Chamber's which both support your use of dagging as a term general in farming from the mid 18th century onwards. My use is supported only by the OED as dialect from old Norse, meaning spray or drizzle, hence to wet in that way. I have only ever heard my father use the word, to mean a watering can or to use a watering can. Hawes are manufacturers of finest watering cans.
Post a Comment