This area of the garden needs re-planting in some way to provide a focus from the lawn. That there is a structural, visual problem in viewing the garden from the lawn towards the garage drive fencing was first drawn to my attention by Bob. Chris and I have thought long and hard about what to do and I have made some changes, but I'm still not satisfied. We shall seek professional advice! The view is dull in mid-summer with too similar blocks of dense green; flowers (such as there are) not easily seen; subjects of too similar a type and form.
Some large and thuggish species have been removed, but I still think there is much to do. I have planted a few small perennials, all, I think, to no great effect: campanula capractica; helianthemum x 2; geranium ballerina; celmisia; corydalis; saxifrage; primula. There remains a rather small, as yet, tree peony in this area.
I have planted some new alpine type subjects in the gap created, but there is still no focus or structure.
A view from the new path down from the gate to the house.
I had thought that moving this Viburnum Birkwoodii might provide structure. There used to be a Witchhazel in that problem gap. It grew and flowered poorly.
This Euonymus might help too.
Some large and thuggish species have been removed, but I still think there is much to do. I have planted a few small perennials, all, I think, to no great effect: campanula capractica; helianthemum x 2; geranium ballerina; celmisia; corydalis; saxifrage; primula. There remains a rather small, as yet, tree peony in this area.
I have planted some new alpine type subjects in the gap created, but there is still no focus or structure.
A view from the new path down from the gate to the house.
I had thought that moving this Viburnum Birkwoodii might provide structure. There used to be a Witchhazel in that problem gap. It grew and flowered poorly.
This Euonymus might help too.These photos were taken using a fixed focal length 50mm macro lens with the hope of providing a consistency of perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment