Go to this link if you dare to watch it.
We shot most of the footage on Thursday. Bob edited the film between Friday and this Sunday afternoon. He has had a lot to learn.
I took a lot of stills, none of which were chosen by our director for inclusion. He muttered something about it being a movie. So I've picked some out.
Bob set out to tell the story of this train (class 185 dmu), the 05.46 hrs. from Lancaster to Windermere via Morecambe. It is the only train of the day on this route. There is no return service by that route. That Thursday morning it started from Lancaster with three genuine passengers on board.
We had read that it might be a so-called 'parliamentary train'. That is a train run in order to keep open a railway line that would otherwise be closed. There is some evidence for this, but all things considered we think not.
We also examined the objections to the building of the Kendal to Windermere Railway in 1845. Mostly those objections came from wealthy landowners in the district. However the most literate, giving the whole campaign philosophical credibility, was voiced directly to the PM, Mr. Gladstone, by William Wordsworth himself.
What concerned Wordsworth was that uneducated working class people would pile out of the Sunday trains to enjoy themselves in his precious Lake District. The landowners were more concerned about their compensation. Local traders were far more interested in how to make money out of this influx of the unwashed.
Bob thought the photo below told a story of requited love. I think I've caught some sort of moment.
Under the famous clock at Carnforth below. The point of going to Carnforth was to see what is now the avoiding line for the through trains. Our train is routed on that main line.
Then, lo upon a sudden, it appeared a Direct Rail Services nuclear flask train hauled by a resplendent class 40 diesel with a second as banker. That gave us footage for one of the hypotheses put to us by local railway maniacs. That is, one side of the Bare-mainline triangle needs to have a public service train to keep it open, as no other fare-paying passenger train uses it - just DRS and stock movements.
I just can't get enough. I just can't get enough.









2 comments:
It was good fun. I think the next movie will be the outtakes and maybe even the stills:) (although I would point out that I did use one).
Sorry Bob I didn't spot the still. But you know I enjoyed doing it very much.
Post a Comment