If only one could recall those Edwardian summers ...
Friday, 3 August 2012
Bicycle Boys & French Lettres
Some of you may not believe this, but in my current attempt to learn French I've encountered an embarrassing difficulty. Chris and I are tutored by Liz, at home, and this Monday I just could not use fils and fille correctly. So Chris came up with this labelled pictogram on the kitchen white board. As a method it has several flaws the major of which is that I have real problems recognising what any pictogram is supposed to represent (witness my utter confusion in British motorway service areas as I drive the van studiously past the pictogram attempting to sign for 'caravans'). And personally I do not meet many 'girls' who wear A line frocks, assuming such a thing exists. However, after five days of looking and reading and saying, it is beginning to work.
Walking past The Border Bookshop in Todmorden (61a Halifax Rd) I noticed this issue of The Boys' Realm, stuck awkwardly at the bottom of the window. It's a story of the 1908 London Olympics in which a Wiggins-like hero snatches victory from Johnny foreigner!!! What super inspiration for young lads as they girt themselves up for August 1914.
If only one could recall those Edwardian summers ...
If only one could recall those Edwardian summers ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Took me five years to remember the French for "puddle", seven years for "nettle". But only three years for my own mobile phone number…
I am truely encouraged by that. Thank-you a.
La flaque
La ortie
You made me look those two up.
Post a Comment