Monday, 2 July 2012

The Obligatory Meet BBQ

 The meet was in a field, on grass; soft Highland grass, very wet. My heart sank and I thought so to would the van, eventually. No hook-up so we were relying on the sun to charge the leisure battery. Again, I thought, what folly in Scotland at the end of June. However the Detroit Solar thingy worked fine and the inverter allowed us to re-charge our numerous electronic devices over the three days we were at Brin Nursery. Obviously it wasn't raining on the first evening when the obligatory BBQ was held. The smoke is in order to deter the midges, which it does.
 I don't know anything about BBQ cooking, but it looked simple enough. You just burn the food. I managed that quite well and Christine made the right noises when offered the funeral-burnt meats.
That's Otto above. He's from near Dortmund, and explained to me lots about Hessian minor aristocracy who appear to be related to our beloved royal family. However his van had to be towed off site by Alan's off-road tow car (that' him far left, below). The van was weighed down with German beer and sausages, and not helped by over-reving in first gear (said Tony, back to camera).
 These are Highlanders, prolly Locharber Men, four of them putting up one plastic wind-break. There was no wind. Before retirement I think they must have been in local government direct works. That's very unfair as Iain's a seaman and far right was once the station master at Kyle of Lochalsh.

No comments: