Monday, 2 July 2012

Another BBQ - Sunday

On Saturday 23 June it rained all day. In the evening we all went to Dores Restaurant for a meal. It's actually in Dores on the banks of loch Ness. There were two sittings for dinner. We were on the first sitting of seven. Some of the company thought they ought to have been on the later, larger sitting. There were cross words and silences and mutterings about 'organisation'. I just drank real Scottish ales, had kidneys then fillet steak. Enjoyed it very much. No, not the Glasgow stereotype, there were ample diverse vegetables.
 On Sunday, the Sabbath was observed with another BBQ, heavy drinking and increasingly bizarre conversations with people one did not know or could fully understand. I provided one of the bottles of single malts. There were three. Our host Angus is above right in his Danish jumper. Sorry Angus, looks more like an Arran. I last wore one of those in 1972. To his left is another John of John&Chris fame who did much of the organising and field-work, though not the part that had been criticised the previous evening.
 The washing-machine drum BBQ burner is shown above. A fine example of Scottish improvised reclamation engineering. It worked really well providing an uneven sudden heat and then coolness which first burnt the food and then allowed it to cool quickly so as to maximise the opportunity for bacterial growth. A good smoker too. Note the ubiquitous wearing of stout rubber boots.
 A van sinks into the field.
 Now this fellow, Andrew here pictured with Lesley, arrived with his wife Deborah (they are related to our hosts) saying they had just sailed there in a Glasgow puffer with 12 others. I warmed to these people immediately and was pleased to find he had brought a very large can of fine Scottish real ale. Below is a geezer, one of two whose names I never did learn, nor quite understand.

No comments: