Saturday, 27 October 2012

Nancy Day Two

 Next day we went into Nancy again but got off the bus before the centre as there were various buildings John wanted to photograph on the walk in.  Hopefully he'll post some of those latter.  Had a pizza for lunch then walked into Stanislaus Square again.

 The previous day there had been a collection of large pot plants and other greenery assembled in the middle of the square but cordoned off with barriers.  This day it was set out and opened up as an 'ephemeral garden': part of a season of events celebrating Jean Prouvé.


 This structure is based on a prefabricated building component designed by Jean Prouvé.

 and this chair, and the elevated one in the distance, was also apparently one of his iconic designs.

 Next we visited a small botanical garden a short walk away.  It had since been superseded by a much larger botanical garden on the outskirts of the city.  A dutch couple at our campsite had told us about it, but when we asked the young woman in the tourist information office where we could find it she didn't know about it.  We found it anyway.  I rather liked this purple kale.  (Again I'm hoping John will select some of his photos to post later.

                                       
 The garden was at the back of a building which housed the aquarium.

The foyer at the front of the aquarium had a staircase designed by JP

I then wanted to return to the Musée des Beaux-Arts.  Great to go to the same gallery two days running.
The above painting was by Othon Friesz.  I'm sure I've seen the same or similar one at the Courtauld Institute.

Something about this one by Max Pechstein remimded me of a Cezanne.

 A Modigliani woman

Can't remember who this one was by.

No comments: