Friday, 29 May 2009

Down House at Downe in Kent, or Bromley


We returned on 19 May to Kathy & David's house in Rochester. The next day we motored with them to Darwin's home, Down House in the village of Downe, with an e, like something out of Wodehouse. Kathy used an in-car entertainment I have only heard about called 'SatNav', I think, which told us to go the wrong way. David worked out the right way using a compass, vintage MoD maps and common sense. For goodness sake, it is next to Biggin Hill - you can actually hear the Rolls Royce Merlin engines from the Darwin's front lawn, which must have been a great comfort or a blasted irritation.
A beautiful setting for the Father of Botany to study and experiment. We are told it's all much at it would have been when Darwin and his family lived here.

Most of the experimental work was carried out in this greenhouse, the beds in front of it and below in the 'potting shed'.

We went round and saw the weed patch experiment.
Where Darwin observed in the greenhouse.



Chris and David concentrate on the scientific detail of the site.
As does Kathy too. Meanwhile Johnny was having difficulty following the audio guide, the layout of the garden and the significance of what he was being told to look at. My companions quickly gained a grasp of the place and were soon exchanging comments on evolution by natural selection, the appropriateness of each experiment, or specimen gathering. I asked were the nearest station was up to town. Orpington I was told. I think I was rather overwhelmed just to be there. But I quickly recovered with the help a ham sandwich and bottle of finest ginger beer. Then I was ready for the house. My companions failed to hold out through to the first storey! All the exhibition stuff was up there about the voyage of the Beagle and publication of the Origin of Species. I purchased the book as there wasn't a film, and a handsome souvenir pack of playing cards. Darwin was a great card player. That was the end of our holiday.

No comments: