Gloomy November morning here in Walsden. Only when I'd finished planting the apple 'Winston' did the significance of the deed on this day strike me. It's on MM 106, for those who understand the significance of appropriate rootstocks, and is selected for desert flavour, keeping (pick October, can store till March), resistance to canker, blight and scab, reliable at our latitude and rainfall. If half that proves to be true, I'll be impressed. It was raised in the 1920s at, I think, the John Innes Institute and named Winter King, only to be re-named 'Winston' in 1944 no doubt for obvious commercial reasons.
And so to a splendid lunch of stand pie from Ham Corner, Todmorden market hall. Health freak, Chris Dellen did not join me, but I felt I needed this after blood tests and ECG tests and not receiving my booked prescription from the pharmacy. How will I cope without statins?Danny, you would have loved this pie. Such a shame I had the last one from Waites the other Saturday!
No comments:
Post a Comment