Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Preston Montford - First Full Day

We went to Montford Bridge on Friday 9 July in the van and pitched on site at a rather curious private campsite hard by the Severn. Facilities were variable to say the least. Chris was to stay on site and enjoy a relaxing couple of days whilst I attended yet another Beginners' Guide to Identifying Wild flowers run by the FSC. This time the course was taken by Brenda Harold at the Preston Montford centre. I didn't bother taking any photos of the centre which you might think gives one a clue as to what I thought about the architecture and the immediate surrounding interest of the place. Actually I was trying to concentrate on the course. Relatively speaking I took very few photos, mainly intended to be part of my reinforcement of learning.
On Saturday 10 July we had a lesson and then set out for our field studies. These photos show the triple SI at Colesmore, a natural lake north of Shrewsbury at Ellesmere SJ436328. Above is a thistle, but which one?
Below is rattle, the semi-parasitic on grass which has now been moved from one genus into the one of full parasites including Broomrape.
Below the meadowsweet.
Potentilla anserina Silverweed, I think.
After that we drove on to Llanymynech Rocks at SJ267218. It is an old quarry with diverse and rich flora.
Orchid identification by Andrew.
And rather splendid views, which I'm far too inclined to be distracted by.
Plenty of other interest though I have omitted my pathetic attempts at photographing the peregrine falcons.

No comments: