Monday, 22 June 2009

The Welsh Fishing Trip

Bob and I were in Llandudno Junction at a CL for 2 nights last week: visited Conwy and Llandudno by motorhome. However only three hours of the second afternoon involved sea fishing. No photos exist of my fishing efforts.
Bob bought 2 coffees-to-go from a sea front 'restaurant' which had been made in the Welsh style. So bitter was this brew I threw mine out the van door onto the pavement beyond, making a stain rather like thin sick. Just then an older person drove by on a mobility scooter and I was afeared that the forces of law and order would descend on my van with accusations of public defilement. Bob said, 'Just say there was nothing there till that old woman emptied her drainage bag'.
Bob spent ages finding and then buying the frozen mackerel bait from a chavette in a tacky, sorry tackle shop, but not a rod license so had to walk the whole length of the pier again for this essential piece of kit. I think I caught 3 fish and Bob took 2. We ate the mackerel that evening and I brought home the 3 pollocks for Chris.
An esplanade prospect ruined.


We take the tram up to Great Orme. Bob describes the mechanical wonders of the 'shielded winding mechanism' which power this 19th century triumph of transportation engineering.
We pass the newly discovered malachite mines - from which Bronze Age Man extracted the copper in order to smelt bronze with tin from Cornwall. Which all sounds pretty advanced to me for 1500BC, especially when you consider that Bronze Age Man had not had the edifying advantage of living through the Iron Age. Miss Thomas (also from Wales) told us that in 1959 in class 1D at Counthill Grammar School. 
Bob said, 'How come it took so long to discover that mine with such a bloody big sign on it?'
A croc of dwarves head for the mines. Note the authentic 1500BC Health and Safety headgear.
I walk the battlements of the magnificent Conwy Castle, built by Edward I in just 4 years.
The bridges of Conwy. The box girder on the right is by Robert Stephenson and is yet another miracle of 19th century engineering.
And here's a wonder of the Wales in the 21st century: making a light entertainment TV show on the pier in Llandudno. The director had this troupe dancing the same routine umpteen times at every location he could. There was a whole real crew there - they even had clip boards and a clapper. 
Last cast of the afternoon.
This particular seagull was personally responsible for seizing from my hand a legitimately purchased ice cream (made by Kelly's of Cornwall). It ate the bloody lot. I went back to the bothy (below) and asked, 'Do you train up these birds?' 'No, but they are clever at it'. I said, 'So why not warn the punters?' 'Doesn't always happen, but it is funny when it does'. It was latte flavoured at £1.30 a single cone. I had not realised that seagulls had such good taste. I purchased a second, and proceeded with extreme caution. 
Be warned: the wrought iron bothy in the foreground sells ice cream knowing the seagulls are waiting to take it.  
The Grand Hotel is the name of that ocean liner-like building. Up close its rather past its best.

Himself packs up for the evening. It's gone six o'clock, everything on the pier closes and all the tourists, actors, TV crew, traders, petty criminals, challenging people, all have gone home. So do we.

No comments: