We walk through fields of buttercups (various), rattle and clover ...
Passed a wall with this stone showing the marks of a medieval plough share. 
... To evidence that this farm was once managed as a woodland meadow. How else the bluebells in a field with no trees? The land was owned by Fountains Abbey before the imposition of protestantism on the countryside.
Is this ancient woodland?
We learn that this grass is an ancient woodland meadow indicator - it helpfully shows both male and female parts, but as you have guessed, I've already forgotten its correct name (sweet vernal grass I think).
2 comments:
Wild flower meadows are just spectacular, and so rare now. One reason why many species of bees are now extinct.
I would love to know the names of wild flowers.
I think its fascinating.
Yes Harriet. I am really enjoying trying to learn, but it is hard and I think starting with a brain a lot younger than 61 would have helped! I've lots of pix of the meadows, but of course relative to the whole Malham uplands this area of low maintenance management is minute.
Johnny
Post a Comment