Saturday, 25 April 2009

Recapitulation

This blog is now hopelessly out of synchronization with life in Johnny Land. So before I finish off Two Go Mad in Dorset with 'Tales from Corfe Castle' let me bring myself up to date.

Yesterday was my first day as an Age Concern Calderdale and Kirklees volunteer at the Lee Mount centre. I will see how it works out. I am already a trustee, which I need to review.

Last night, Friday 24 April we were in Halifax for a meal at Inn Cognito. Chris has taken the plunge into the Wonderful World of Mac and purchased an unbelievably expensive (and long) contract with O2 for an iPhone. Obviously it comes without instructions, because it's a Mac product and hence totally intuitive. It remains to be seen how this pans out in practice.
That evening we attended a musical soirée at Square Chapel given by my former piano tutor, Jack Glover and Maguy du Gué. What a wonderful evening of Piaf, Brel, Trénet, Satie, Messiaen and many more. The performance was consistently full of musical emotion, exciting and at times challenging (as you will realise from the above abbreviated play-list). Wonderful arrangements by Glover complented du Gué's passionate singing style. We loved it. And Jack told us afterwards the Steinway was fabulous, like unleashing a great beast. 

No comments: