Last week we went to Barnard Castle in County Durham. We stayed at the Caravan Club site just outside the ancient market town.
I took a series of photos of the castle and present the ones I like best here. First, in the morning. The walk down from the campsite takes one past this ancient view over the Tees.
I suppose this is some kind of market from olden times when they didn't have Lidl or even Waitrose. The town has masses of small local business, which we are told is really good. There's a shop selling other people's clothes what they don't want for really lots of money. So there's only one size and colour. What use is that?
The "antique" dealers are well represented too. It's fascinating to see all the old rubbish we threw out in the 1960s re-presented, having been buffed up nicely, for inordinate amount of grizby.
Close up the old castle looks a bit drab and very shut for the winter. I suppose it's closed in winter because it's more likely to fall down on us then.
It was quite cold.
And here is the evening sun on the old castle walls as we make our way back to the campsite.







2 comments:
That old market thingy looks like a Buttercross. There's one in Witney where I grew up. I don't know why it's called a Buttercross…
Thanks A. I shall investigate Buttercross.
Post a Comment