Dave Hart was a student at Lancaster University who started in October 1974, the year I took up a lecturing post in the Department of Social Administration. I've forgotten how we became close friends, but we did and along with Julie and Kitty, and a variable few others we were a sort of gang for a couple of years. I married Gill Diamond, who had arrived at the University in 1976, but the four of us stayed quite friendly for a while. Time passes and one drifts apart, for no particular reason. Dave married Julie. I would see them from time to time.
Last week I learnt from Julie's sister Alison that Dave had died. The funeral was last week on Thursday. Chris and I attended and then were invited to the family home. There was much reminiscing, with promises to see one another again.
I look back on that time in the 1970s with complex emotions. I will always treasure the enthusiasm, wit, erudition and insightfulness of Dave Hart. He was a serious beer drinker, read widely, and had very diverse musical taste, but he was obsessed with sport, which I could never understand.



No comments:
Post a Comment