Starting on 14 October we thought we would have a nice stay in the Lakes, what with the beautiful autumnal weather and such. Starting in Hawkshead south Lakeland and moving on in a couple of days to the Jaws of Borrowdale near Keswick.
We arrived safely enough in Hawkshead, went round the gift shops and planned a little walk to Esthwaite Water, you know the sort of thing Beatrix Potter would have done before breakfast, sorting the sheep out and buying more land to keep out the property speculators. We didn't know it was a hundred years to the day she married solicitor Heelis so there were special celebrations going on in the National Trust outlets and museum places. I should damn well think so seeing as how Benjamin Bunny and Peter Rabbit paid for all that NT land.
Nick'll scoff at yet another picture of a church. Well let him.
Then back to Hawkshead for a fish lunch at a real ale pub - we quickly went inside as the weather became inclement.
Boots were purchased along with rugs, craghoppers and expensive comestibles.
We did spend a long time in the Potter museum and saw many original watercolours and prints ready for the printer. I read about her scientific botanical and geological interests and projects. So I'm now reading a very, very detailed biography.
Then we attempted to move on to Borrowdale and on the narrow road back to Ambleside I took another bite out of the near side skirting. I just gave up and pursuaded Chris we should go home. The roads of north Lakeland are even narrower and more rock infested than those of the south.
So I'm not entirely sure what to do about this motorhome. I'm looking at about £3000 of repairs and insurance may pay for some of it, but only materials.








No comments:
Post a Comment