Friday, 18 May 2012

Second New Cornea

 On Tuesday I went into Calderdale Royal Hospital, in Halifax for my second corneal graft.  The first one I had last December hadn't worked for me.   Here's my post-operative view from my hospital bed, including the anti-thrombosis socks they supply.  At this stage I am waiting to be told when I can go.  I went in at 7.30 a.m. , went down to theatre about 11.40 a.m. and came back to the ward at 2 p.m.  John came to take me home about 6.30 p.m.
 And here's my eye dressing.
 Next morning John had the job of removing the dressing and bathing my eye with the supplied kit.
And here it is today, looking reasonably normal, and, I think, much more blue than it's been for a long time.   I can see with it now, though it is by no means all sorted.  At my post-op appointment yesterday the surgeon reminded me that it could get a bit misty over the next few days and weeks, before improving again.   I have sixteen stitches around the graft some of which could be strategically removed to alter the shape to prevent / remedy astigmatism.  Until they are satisfied that the new cornea / eye has settled I won't be prescribed new lenses.  My current prescription is not right for my left eye, so I'm still holding it closed much of the time.  This time I'm optimistic though that it'll eventually be right.

No comments: