
The hellebores are beautiful just now. Above is 'Moonbeam' and below
niger specie. Planting them on shady terraces means we can view them from below. Chris says the fairies underneath them will still have the better view.
Primula Wanda above is a particular favorite of mine. When I was about 12 my parents told me that they had bought one for our garden from a show in Urmston (a prize winner). Mum's dad lived there so they must have been visiting him when they went to the show, but that would have been several years earlier as he had already died by the time I was 12. Anyway, on Gardeners' Question Time I learnt it was the season to propagate primulas by division ( late Spring, after flowering), so I did. This was my first successful 'real' gardening off my own bat. In a few years our council house garden had dozens of Primula Wanda. I took specimens with me when we left 3 Beechwood Rd and propagated them at each new house until moving to Hebden Bridge. Now I have a new plant, though actually it does not seem quite as attractive as those ones in the early 1960s. That cannot be true, can it?


Above some examples of our wonderful specie primulas. And below the anemones.

No comments:
Post a Comment