
The new market hall is said to be in the Italianate style, which if it were in Manny we would call 'streaky bacon' style. Great apologies to viewers for presence of cars and street furniture. Bridgnorth's very narrow streets are dedicated to the wide, heavy, highly powered four wheel drive vehicles prevalent in this cramped built environment. The plethora of signs about everything you can think of make walking round Bridgnorth a literary education - 'England's Oldest Seed Merchants' and 'You May Phone From Here' (above a closed pub).

Chris negotiates a narrow street and I manage to photograph it without a 4x4 present. I'm amazed they aren't trying to drive their
John Deeres down them.

... And now the ridiculous. For £1 you can ride up and down the funicular railway and for quite a lot more take tea and crumpets in its refreshment rooms - with fab views of the Severn. The funicular is said to be the oldest, or longest, or highest or slowest in England. No matter, the smell of burning carbon brushes on commutators and hot lubricating oil took me back to Electromaint, 67 Lees Rd Oldham ... Ahhh.

A-Ah a Ruskin view I think.

The town is noted for its many stairways, earning it the soubriquet: 'the Hebden Bridge of the Midlands'.

Now this was a surprise and a delight: St Mary Magdalene church by Telford himself. This high church Anglican establishment is in a restrained Ionic classical style. I thoroughly approved: no stained glass apart from over the altar; Farrow & Ball great white. The floor has death watch beetle and much else amiss. One made a massive donation for its restoration.

The church is not mentioned at all in the information centre's guide, obviously written by Evangelicals.

Do these count as caryatids? The highly informatively misleading tourist information leaflets suggests they are. I think they are highly ornamented
wooden console brackets, but I'm just making that up because I can't be bothered to consult my Bannister Fletcher.
No comments:
Post a Comment