Four new locks for the outside van lockers were ordered from Auto-Sleeper. They are now fitted with a cranked bar which will not slide through the locker door into the keeper in its housing in the van wall.
The barrel is exactly the same, but still difficult to fit because an adjustable spanner cannot be used in the confined space of the door housing. I do not have a 20mm box spanner so I pinched the nut up somewhat with Molegrips.
The cranked bar had to be straightened using a combination of vice and hammering. Next, the bar had to be cut to the right length and rounded using a file.
The bar, now the correct length and quite straight is in place on the barrel of the lock. It took me many tries to set the bar at the correct attitude to the slot.
This replacement lock now works fine and I shall do the other three on our return from the Dorset trip starting on Saturday. My next task on the van this afternoon was to dismantle its Austrian waste tap, clean and make work properly. I managed the first two, but making it work smoothly eluded me even after much filing, sanding, wire wool polishing and silicon lube. It's a little easier to use than it was. And I need to fit a new jubilee clip on the end waste pipe connection to this wretched tap.
No comments:
Post a Comment