Tuesday, 6 October 2009

S**s*n *f M**ts *nd M*ll*w Fr**tf*lln*ss

Once upon a time when I was a lecturer I mildly suggested some spelling and grammatical 'improvements' to a post-graduate social work student's dissertation, which was a write-up of her own survey of the needs and aspirations of her learning difficulties service users. She sent me a learned article by psychologists from Cambridge showing that one can read text in English from which the vowels have been omitted. I said, 'Of course we can, if slowly. We have reading ages of over 18'. You will have worked-out the title line of this post, but I'm preparing you for the indifferent spelling of the plant names below. Prolly the student was trying to say, 'Does it really matter?' I wanted to say, 'To you, the piece of paper with your name on it called a degree matters, so just conform to our ridiculous conventions'.

The newer strain of aster vaguely seen through Sanguisorba Pink Brushes.

Geranium Roxanne - a continuous flowerer with the newer generation of aster behind.
Sedum and Japanese anemone.
The only eryngium still actually flowering
A believable blue? This has been rather digitally adjusted from the photographed image I fear, although it does look this blue to my naked eye. Blue flowers are rather difficult to capture.
This is Discovery and very handsome they fruit looks. Let's hope it tastes as good. The one I had was not quite up to scratch, but then Discovery is not a keeper really, I understand, and is ready when picked. In fact, three of them have split.
These recently introduced asters to replace Michaelmas daisy novii belgie hybrids really are much better because they are less susceptible to mildew.
Obviously, Persicaria definitely showing its lineage back to dock!
Good old Verbena bonariensis! Most of what are in the garden are now self-seeded just two years after the original planting.

No comments: