Monday, 31 August 2009

The Last Days of Summer

I tidied up the garden a little between rain on Saturday (Sunday was just too wet) and Chris took these iPhone pix of the effect. I'm glad I did, for today, Monday, is almost as wet and certainly more windy.
On Monday I realised the Victoria plums were coming ready, so we've had a few. The raspberries will be ready during mid to late September and so we may miss them as we are off to France via Canterbury and Dover on Wednesday. Then down to Montrichard on the Cher just east of Tours. We are looking forward to a sunny, trouble-free couple of weeks, but as it's with Bob & Liz, who knows how exciting it might become. They are travelling to Tours via Paris (gare du Nord/gare Montparnasse) and London St Pancras on Eurostar and then TGV, with a local connection in Tours. It's a 12 hour trip altogether from Lancaster. We will meet them in Montrichard at 19.18hrs and help carry their luggage to the house they have rented at nr. 1 'no exit for the birds'.

We dismantled the garden table too on Saturday. It's wearing fairly well, but was hardly used all Spring and Summer this year. So no change then. I must oil it ready for its outing in 2010's rain.

3 comments:

a said...

Hope you remembered to claim your troisieme age discount on the train. If it applies, of course.

Some friends of ours in Normandy live at 15, Birdsong Street. We have other friends in Hoot Owl Lane. Our address is just Big Street......

Sarah Thompson said...

The garden is looking lovely. xx

Johnny said...

Thanks Sarah, that cheers me up because I think it's so untidy.
A: Liz has; we'll do it when railroading in France. It's such fun doing literal translations. The 'greatest' French classical play wright was 'Mr. Root' and there's a Parisian proche banlieu that appears to be called 'Bucket'!