In March I went to a huge photographic show at the NEC and met Bob there. Since I learnt about the Petzval lens off of Danny last year I had been waiting for the UK launch of the Petzval 58mm bokeh control lens in solid brass, due April sometime. It's hand-made in Russia.
There on the Lomography stand was the very lens. After the briefest of demos and some chat from the sales person I purchased lens no. 874. She said 'We only have three in the country at the moment to fit Nikon'. I didn't really believe her, but, you know, the Russian accent and everything. Exceptional day's work I thought.
The lens comes in a splendid box with full notes on history and operation, extra Waterhouse art plates, a leather fob for all the F-stop plates, a leather wallet for the lens, a free Lomo'Instant camera and double film pack.
The brass lens, based on an 1840 design by the Slovakian mathematician Petzval, weighs 746gms. It is completely manual, but compatible with today's DSLRs.
And the point of this lens? Virtually no depth-of-field, but pin sharp on one 'plane' hence the possibility of that wonderful blur effect Japanese photographers know at 'bokeh'. The glorious '58 has a bokeh control wheel for maximum photographic fun.
The thing now is to find out what I can do with it ....


No comments:
Post a Comment