Sunday, 17 April 2016

Julie's Walk by the Brock & Through Lancaster on Foot

A couple of weeks ago we went to see Julie and stayed at a CL on an organic farm in Inglewhite.
Weather was quite kind to us and enjoyed ourselves very much.


Julie took us along the Brock in what I call 'full spate', very wet underfoot. There had been metal working at a mill in this valley, which seems like highly unlikely, but I guess such things needed making for agricultural purposes.


Pretty basic CL but OK. Wonderful Lancashire sky that you don't get in the upper Calder Valley.


Next day we went to Lancaster to visit Williamson's Park on the outskirts of the city. Spent loads of time here as an undergraduate. But the memorial itself was shut and rather derelict. Must have had a massive Lottery Grant to do it up and it's now open to the public and very fine we thought.


I think you might be able to get married in it.




Then into the heart of the city. A view through Carlisle bridge (Virgin's Pendolinos  thundering overhead on the west coast main line) of the derelict Williamson's lino factory. In my first year I watched hundreds of workers queuing for work's buses and then being driven off: Guy buses just like these in the link, I think. We don't do that any more.


But Lancaster really isn't grim as just near-by is a walk round the priory church grounds back to the river.

Then to Julie's lovely home with this view from the front of a typical Lancashire evening.


No comments: