The deep red peony at the front of the vase is Red Charm. Though a rather dull name for an excellent herbaceous peony, it opens as an exceptionally deep red bowl into the very double form you see here and then the colour slowly fades.
And this has what to do with the frolics for Brenda and the Buck House set? Last night on Gardener's World I noted that the peony which the fragrant Rachel de Thame had chosen for her garlands on the royal barge looked very much like Red Charm. I know from the bitter experience of lashing rain this week that Red Charm stands up to June's depredations remarkably well for so full a flower. I wonder where those garlands are now?

1 comment:
As heard on Radio 4 this week a rather nice line:
"Summer has set in with its usual severity."
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Post a Comment