Friday, 28 October 2011

One Day in the Life of Johnny

I cut down the peonies this afternoon. However another job was needed: the re-writing of their labels. This task reminded me of an episode in Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - in a Soviet prison camp.
'Shukhov remembered he wanted to have the numbers on his jacket touched up. ... They spelled nothing but trouble, those numbers: if they were distinct the guards could identify you from a distance, but if you neglected to have them repainted in time you'd be sure to land in the lock-up for not taking care of your number. [One of the camp artists] touched up the S 854 on Shukhov's jacket.'
Well, the names on the plant labels wear off too, from sunshine and rain so they need touching up every few years.

3 comments:

a said...

I tend to read One Day in the Life when it's either too hot or too cold. Works evey time. Puts me off fish soup, too…

a said...

Happy Birthday, by the way…

Johnny said...

Thanks for that Adrian.
I'm really impressed that you re-read novels, as I very rarely do that.
I'm currently reading Vasily Grossman's 'Life and Fate', following the wonderful BBC Radio 4 week of "episodes" from this 800 page Russian masterpiece (leads Branagh, Tennant and Sussman helped, obviously).