From now on, 8 October, I'm thinking of us as "returning to England". We decided to make Étretat, Normandy a one-night stop because the ad blurb for the place told of a wonderful cliff face and splendid geological features like Durdle Dor in Dorset. And the impressionists painted here - one can see why. It's all sky and sea and clouds and light. And so easy not to paint the tourists.
Apparently, although not on the railway, it has been very popular from the belle epoch onward. Suppose the toffs were carried there by peasants.
The ad blurb compares its popularity with the most famous sites in France like Notre Dame, I think I remember correctly, though I can hardly believe that. However one did have to queue, as it were, on the road to get in.
The old municipal campsite was 20 euros, fullish and 1k from the beach (it also had the hottest water in the sanitaire I have ever encountered). The town was hotching with tourists, from ordinary folk to chi-chi Parisian dames.
The town is to the right of the above. The pebble beach forms an arc between the two cliff faces, to the north (roughly) above and the south below.
Swimming is said to be forbidden.
We watched this fishing boat being winched up the beach.
There was a lot of interest in these fish.
This cat reminded us of Lu-Lu Fluff. Just like this mi-mi chou-chou, Lu would sit outside waiting for 'Sunday worshipers'. He, she or it had plenty of admiring public when we were there.









No comments:
Post a Comment