Monday, 4 July 2016

Petzval 58 With Bokeh Control

The replacement lens arrived from Lomography Vienna about two weeks ago, but you know me, don't do now what I can put off especially if I'm worried about it.
Yesterday evening at around 8 pm the light was gorgeous. I went out to take test photos with the replacement Petzval lens, number 3464 - nowhere near as impressive as the old 874 number. However the bokeh control does work - for the moment.

Below follow a stream of photos presented with very little post-adjustment by way of cropping and no enhancement.
Lomography makes you work hard. The photo has to be framed, because there's no telephoto. It has to be manually focused. The exposure and/or speed have to be manually adjusted too as there is no electronic communication between the lens and the camera's digital controller. The point here is that you the photographer may not think much of what the meter comes up with by way of shutter speed. And of course aperture is only controlled by manually inserted Waterhouse plates. Lomography supply several of these plates from 1:11 to 1:1.9 (the largest aperture). In my special offer pack I also have five 'art lens' plates of varying geometric shaped apertures - with leather and brass fob.


To save time, but maybe foolishly, I did not use a tripod.


For me, the garden has been transformed into a more 'magical place' where light and shade rule and definition is often lost.



Below is the full swirling effect of the bokeh control on number 7.



Below we have less or no bokeh control, say between 1 and 4. However the exposure has been varied considerably from that predicted by the metering system ...


 ... and it's possible I changed the aperture plate, just to add to the confusion.



A bokeherised comparison of rose Crown Princess Margarita (of Denmark actually) and rosa foetida bicolour.

A botanical study of black spot.




Here we can see the extent of full bokeh on 7.



There is an awful lot for me to learn here and it's a slow job. But it's not done in front of a screen. It's done for real on site

No comments: