Thursday, 21 July 2016

Graveyard & Canal

I'm still learning what I can do with the Petzval lens. It requires that I also learn how to use the tripod. This is a proving a pretty slow business. The photographer also has to choose the appropriate Waterhouse plate to achieve the best f-stop for the photo in mind with regard to the ambient light conditions, which of course change all the time round here. These plates are very small, the colour of anthracite and easily fall out of the lens. Well, I dropped one on tar Mac which obviously is anthracite coloured. It took four passes to find it: they are £4.90 each to replace. See how technical it is already.
But you do see what you are doing at each stage.


The dis-arranged character of the oldest part of St. Peter's graveyard works well for bokeh.
Apologies for not selecting either a Greenwood or a Sutcliffe.




This is the retaining wall of the graveyard.


This is bridge 33 over the canal which is on St. Peter's Gate, becomes Birk's Lane and then Hollingworth Road I think. Photographically this has quite a mid 19th. century feel, I thought.



This is the Travis Mill lock paddle.


Looking around the lock it seemed full of interesting gear, but this photo shows everything and is about nothing;


... then I realised what I needed to focus on and frame.


It's obligatory to show our own home in this divine light, though no-one wants to buy it.
It's prolly about 21.00 by the time I took this photo.


1 comment:

coastal connections said...

These are getting very interesting John