Saturday, 31 October 2015

Bamboo Wall


When we returned from the French trip I thought I would take out some of the shoots of the black bamboo that had 'escaped' from it's containment area behind a wall next to the stream. What a bad idea that proved to be.
The wall fell down due, really, to the pressure of the bamboo which was growing between the decorative concrete block work and the true retaining wall. I took out as much wall as I thought practical and started to hack at the bamboo. Hours later I had most of the bamboo rhizomes from out of the wall. Then I used tree stump killer  on what remained. This was RHS advice.




I thought it would be better if a builder re-erected this concrete block wall, which incidentally as not built with cement mortar but glued together with building adhesive. Two garden wallers didn't want to take on this job as it's only about 3m by 70cm. Me, I've not idea how one would erect such a structure with any chance of it not falling down with the first frost/gale/storm. We called in Gary who's going to start next week.



He he is looking at the job. He's given a quote and doesn't think it should be too difficult. He will use traditional mortar.

No comments: