Thursday, 17 July 2014

Harriet Barber 3 June 1968 to 16 July 2014


Harriet died last night at 21.50 after a long illness. Danny phoned shortly after to let us know. This is the last photo I took of her in April, in the garden she loved.

My heart goes out to Daniel, Dory and Maeve. You are all loved so much and I will be seeing you soon. For now, it is all too raw. I am surrounded by her lovely paintings, in tears, thinking on young lives ended before their full promise has been realised.

On Danny's Facebook page he has written:

I have to give you all the bittersweet news that Harriet died tonight, at home, at 9.50pm.

It is unbearable to lose her, but she had suffered so much in the last few weeks in particular that her death eventually came as a blessing to her.

She died beautifully, peacefully and without pain, in my arms and with her twin Rosie, mother Wendy, and dear friend Elizabeth close by.

Although she could not respond personally in the last few weeks, she saw - and was immensely grateful for - all your the love, prayers, photos and messages that she has been sent. Thank you so much for that.

Dorelia and Maeve are here at home, and were with Harriet not long before she died.

I'm sorry to announce this on Facebook in this way, but it seems unavoidable these days.

I will post more here in the coming days.

With love, and thanks

Danny


Danny has also updated her artist's blog:

 Harriet died peacefully at home in Dorset, following a long and tenacious struggle with secondary breast cancer in her lungs and liver.

No comments: