Wednesday, 13 February 2013

The Whining Twining Ivy



The ivy covered the chain link fence.
It had begun with being small back in 2006. This winter I decided it had to go. Long hours past in cutting, sawing and pruning, to fill full four green waste sacks. 

In Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Joyce has Stephen Dedalus compulsively repeat 'ivy,' 'twines,' and 'whines,' into utter meaninglessness. I wonder if Mr. James Joyce had cut down any ivy himself? Hiromi Yoshida in Joyce and Jung goes on about this quite a lot, though offering nothing on husbandry. .
On the other hand, as this photo shows, Joyce, in the persona of Dedalus, chooses an horticultural setting in the Royal Dublin Botanic Gardens (I've made that up - but they do exist, founded 1795, though whether Joyce was pictured there, I know not). When I was a 'varsity undergrad I tried to recreate this view in the Williamson's Park gardens in Lancaster. The greenhouses were 'staff only'. We were told off. Alas no images remain of this attempt nor can I find any of those greenhouses on the web.



A piece hangs on beyond the bitter end.



Now all that remains is to remove the roots and repair the fence.
Why did I not do so in 2006?

No comments: