Tomorrow it will be seven weeks since I had my corneal graft. So far the result has been disappointingly slow to give me improved vision. My vision with my left (grafted) eye is in fact still worse than it was before the operation. I have another appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and hope to try to find out if it still just a matter of being patient. I do at least have no pain, redness, or any other symptom of rejection. I'm still using 3 kinds of eye drops a total of 16 times per day, roughly one every hour while awake. Given my poor vision, doing this myself is a bit hit and miss, so John is still giving me most of the drops.
I thought I'd try to illustrate what my vision is like when I look through my left eye. Each of the following 4 pairs of photos show (a) an ordinary iPhone snap, and (b) more or less the same scene taken through my misted-up glasses.
(a) Dining area 1

(b) Dining area 1 - roughly as I'd see it through my left eye

(a) Dining area 2

(b) Dining area 2 - the misty view

(a) View over the canal

(b) View over the canal - misted

(a) View from the side window

(b) View from the side window - misty version
In fact it isn't just my left eye that sees like this. The eye condition that the surgery is meant to correct means my vision is misted like this, to varying degrees. The illustrations above probably fall somewhere between my left and right vision at the moment. Vision with my right, untreated, eye is somewhat better than shown above and with my left is somewhat worse.

No comments:
Post a Comment